Pitt-Rivers has a long history of archaeological work at Cissbury, first visiting the site whilst surveying the hillforts of Sussex in 1866-1867, returning later in 1867 to carry out excavations at the site, which continued for a second season in 1868. Seven years on the General revisited the site in 1875 to reopen a number of pits and resume his excavations.
|White patinated flint core (PRM 1884.131.19) excavated from Pit 13 on January 31st 1868 by Lane Fox.|
We have started work on the Cissbury archaeological assemblage which is dominated by stone tools. The majority are recorded as having been found by Lane Fox, however a few are attributed to local people who provided assistance to the General during the excavations. Mr. Tupper the gamekeeper is named on a number of stone tools yet to be catalogued, as is Mr. Charles Ballard the miller, who provided tents and labour for the excavations (Lane Fox 1876:385, Harrison 1877: 431, 437). He also collected an iron chain (PRM 1884.140.558) which he presented to the General in 1877.
|Iron chain (PRM 1884.140.558) found by Mr. Ballard and presented to Lane Fox.|
Lane Fox, A . 1876. Excavations in Cissbury Camp, Sussex; Being a Report of the Exploration Committee of the Anthropological Institute for the Year 1875. The Journal of the Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland 5: 357-390
Harrison, J. Park. 1877. Report on Some Further Discoveries at Cissbury. The Journal of the Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland 6: 430-442